July 20, 2021
The Graduate School has instituted a new policy and associated metrics for future thesis review, effective immediately.
- Once approval signatures are received from the committee and department chair, the manuscript will move into the working queue. Approved manuscripts are reviewed by editors within 1 to 2 business days. They are processed in the order in which they are received.
- Based on this review, students will either
- be approved to upload the manuscript to ProQuest for publication
- be given written guidance regarding changes required to address minor compliance issues with format specifications or required documentation (e.g., table of contents errors, missing permissions documents, etc.). The student will be required to resubmit the manuscript for another review once the minor formatting changes have been implemented
- be informed of major compliance issues (e.g., margin or spacing errors, incorrect table or figure placement, or extensive grammar and punctuation deficiencies). A more comprehensive review with specific recommendations will be returned to the student, the committee chair, and the department chair within 5 business days of the original receipt. This occurs only when the manuscript is dramatically out of compliance with formatting requirements and best practices. When a revised manuscript is re-submitted following this in-depth review, the process will begin again from step 1.
- The Graduate School will also expand departmental training on format requirements and best practices, hosting seminars and workshops on the Handbook guidelines, and expand the number of technology options for writing dissertations beginning Fall 2021.